Thursday, August 03, 2006

July has gone and now a new month has arose:In Edmonton, Alberta

It has been a month already since I have arrived in Edmonton and time surely has flown. The first week did take some time getting adjusted to the new setting, but now I will officially call Edmonton my summer home. Lets see, on the first day I met two of Stephanies friends, Jason and Karlene Guy. We went over to there house for dinner, plus they were the ones who picked me up at that dreaded airport. Then, of course, I left my wallet at the airport, so on the second day I was able to meet Ian, Glendas second husband, for he was the one that drove us to the airport to retrieve my wallet. Thus entering the world of the workforce. In my opinion, the interview was awful. I was terribly nervous, even though I knew I had the job, and I spoke way too fast, said the stupidest answers and overdramatised on the talking with my hands. However, luckily the managers knew I was nervous so they did not think I was some idiote. At first, I hated working at Tim Hortons, for I thought I was done with the food jobs. It was busy, I made many mistakes, I was afraid of the managers and thought everyone disliked me. But now I enjoy working at Tim Hortons, for the people are absolutely awsome to work with, including the managers. Sadly, we are extremely short staffed, so I had to be left alone up front after only two days of working. Anyhoo, enough work talk, back to Edmonton. On the following Saturday, Steph and I went to Ian and Glendas house were I was able to meet more of her friends. It was fun. Then we made a Buffy marathon, so with work and Buffy, we did not do to much the following week. Although, I was able to go see the University of Alberta, which was tres tres cool because in the Arts department there was this statue of the head of a famous nobel literature prize poet and the university was very beautiful.
On July 18 was an exciting event, for that was when Steph finally took me to the RiverCity Shakespeare Festival. We went to see the play The Taming of the Shrew, which in my opinion is one of his best comedies. At first I was nervous about the play being in western theme, but it actually worked and the actors portrayed the characters very well, especially Pertruchio. After that, I decided to venture off on my own and go to the art gallery. Now, I really should have read the name on the bus, instead of just reading the number, for I ended up going on the wrong number eight. Thus, it took me almost two hours to get to the art gallery. However, a nice edmonton dude noticed that I was lost and walked me to the gallery, even though he was late for work. Silly me, did not get his name or number, but he did say if not for work he would gladly join me at the gallery. Woohoo I am moving up in the social world. And yes, the gallery was worth it and now it is one of the options of museums to work at after my degree.
Then comes the summer movies. On July 19th I saw Pirates of the Carribean 2 Dead Mans Chest. I enjoyed the movie and thought it was hilarious, but it lacked in the freshness the first movie gave us. Johnny Depp is still the best looking pirate of the carribean. The next tuesday, July 25, I saw The Lady in The Water. I despise this film and inform everyone not to see this film, especially if you have high expectations. Now, I did like the story of the movie, for it was very interesting and quite unique. The problem arose in the cinematography and the acting. The directing was awful, which is strange because M. Night Shamalyn is a good director, the lines came too fast and the acting was at its worst for everyone.
Well, I think that is all I have to say thus far of my trip to Edmonton. I am having so much fun and do not want to leave this province! Fare thee well.

2 Comments:

Blogger Lady Katrina said...

you failed to mention that Lady in the water was brutally lame and cheesy and why didnt he include some big twist like all of his other movies. It would of been better if the whole time Story was some escaped mental patient with schizophrenia(i cant spell) and that the "eagle" coming to get her was actually the mental ward doctors bringing her back to the psych ward. Now wouldnt that have been cool.

6:25 p.m.  
Blogger Lady Katrina said...

No sister, trust me I am the one moving up in the social world.

11:10 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home